june 30, 2020
The world seems very different than it did in February. Despite our current challenges and the uncertainty to come, God has not changed. The salvation through Jesus Christ and the promise of eternal life to all who believe cannot be altered by pandemics, politics, or injustice. Even as sin permeates the world, God remains faithful and now, more than ever, we must turn our eyes to Him! I want to thank each SHCS teacher, student, and parent who faithfully worked together during our 4th quarter online experience. It was an overwhelming success that I pray will never need to be repeated!
There are many questions regarding the status of SHCS in 2020-2021. Our enrollment is very strong and we are having to close some classes due to high demand. God continues to bless our church and school with health and safety during these uncertain times. I would like to share some of the plans for August but please remember that circumstances continue to change and SHCS will make adjustments as needed in order to provide a safe and loving environment for our students and staff.
We have every intention of returning to a traditional five day school week in August. In the event of a government closure order, we are prepared to resume online learning. However, we believe the best method of education is in the classroom. Although we have started creating new procedures we must all be prepared to adapt to rapid changes as needed.
Our reopening will include additional cleaning procedures and safety protocols. The campus has received and will continue to be given a high level of disinfecting. We prioritize the safety of our students and staff so we ask that everyone in the SHCS family adhere to the rules in the hope that many are only for a short time.
Some of these protocols for the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year include:
• Students and staff showing any illness (including but not limited to fever, sore throat, severe cough, runny nose) must stay home. A negative COVID test may be required for some to be readmitted.
• Temperatures will be taken for all students and staff entering campus.
• Parents and visitors will not be able to enter the campus.
• Chapels will be watched in the classroom using videos prepared by our Principals, Pastors, and Bible teachers.
• Some level of social distancing will be emphasized in the classrooms, cafeteria and eating areas, and leading to possible temporary changes in elective/specials classes.
• Parent attendance at Parent Orientation will be REQUIRED this year. Unlike past years, it will be held several times over 10 days so all can attend and social distancing can be in place in our spacious Worship Center. More details will be shared soon.
It is important to note that, despite our best efforts, there is no guarantee that there will not be cases of COVID at our school. Parents must consider this and accept that possibility if they choose to have their child attend SHCS in August. In the meantime we pray for God’s continued mercy for all members of the SHCS family.
Eric Spee, Headmaster