april 1, 2020
Good morning! I am writing to you from my home as my children are preparing for their daily SHCS online learning. Today is Upper School Chapel and I am excited to hear from God's word! I appreciate the email and photos of SHCS students engaging in our online platform. The education and mentoring of our students continues although we will be happy when we are back on campus again!
Things continue to change hourly so here are the latest updates.
The SHCS campus will remain closed through May 1, 2020 in response to government mandates.
Online education will continue for grades K3-12th grade.
Preschool ages infants through K2 will remain closed through May 1, 2020.
At this time, school activities such as athletics, JR/SR Formal, after school programs (intramurals, dance, etc.) are postponed and not cancelled. We will make a decision on each activity as we get closer to May 1 and we have a better understanding of the world's situation.
The FHSAA is considering an extension to Spring athletics (baseball, track, tenns) through June 30. The situation is still ongoing.
It is natural to think - what am I going to do during this unprecedented pandemic? Here are some things to consider.
The entire world is dealing with this challenge. We are all in this together!
The economy is halted right now but it can resume quickly once this situation is under control.
The government has created programs to help families that are in challenging financial situations. Please consider them if you find yourself in a difficult spot.
Use this time to stay connected to church or get connected for the first time!
Sheridan Hills Baptist Church continues to offer services online and hold meetings for people of all ages. Learn more at sheridanhills.org.
The SHBC website also has valuable resources for families as you navigate this unplanned time at home. SEE IT AS A BLESSING and make a plan! Your children may remember this time, not as a pandemic, but as the best interrupted time with their parents.
Please pray for those on the front lines - health care workers, grocery store workers, police, fireman, and those nations unable to respond to this crisis effectively.
I will send updates each week.
In the meantime, may the Lord bless you and keep you!
Eric Spee, Headmaster
update | mARCH 25, 2020
Greetings from my house!
Like many of you, I am transitioning to work at home. The workload has not really changed - just the location. Of course, I also have my wife and three children with me at ALL times. I am finding the joy - as the Bible tells us - but I am looking forward to being back on campus!
I am having a challenge with my growing hair and I need your help! All students, parents, and faculty/staff may click on this link to complete an online survey on the topic. I am counting on you! https://forms.gle/ddPGboKcyfsxf2p4A
In the meantime, here are some important reminders.
The SHCS campus is closed but we are open for phone calls (954-966-7995) and email. No parents or students are allowed on campus at this time.
The campus continues to get some much-needed attention! All classrooms are being deep cleaned. A special machine has been brought in that kills viruses and bacteria and it is being deployed throughout the school and church.
Online learning begins March 30 for grades K3-12. Many of your teachers have already reached out and we are excited that learning will continue!
Parents who use Zoom are agreeing to the use of the product. Live teaching may be recorded for those SHCS students who cannot attend the class as scheduled. Parents who do not wish their child's image filmed can sign into Zoom using the Audio only option.
You should receive an email regarding the pick up of student materials. Please reach out to the principals directly with questions. We will work with students who are unable to retrieve items.
Sheridan Hills Baptist Church is online! Please visit us at sheridanhills.org for services on Wednesday evenings at 7PM and Sundays at 10:45AM. Growth Groups and Community Groups are meeting on Zoom.
Remember to Keep Calm and Carry On! God remains in control, faith in Jesus Christ still saves, and we must continue to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength - now more than ever!
Eric Spee, Headmaster
update | mARCH 18, 2020
Dear SHCS Parents and Students,
Please read the important updates below regarding our school response to the COVID-19 crisis.
1. Sheridan Hills Christian School will remain closed to on-campus learning for all grades. We are tentatively scheduled to reopen on April 14, 2020.
2. The week of March 23-27 will be an extended Spring Break. Parents will be contacted regarding online instruction and should use the week of March 23rd to prepare. Parent / student instructions for logging on to Zoom is forthcoming. Renweb, in conjunction with Google Classroom, will also be utilized.
3. Full online instruction will begin for all students grades K3-12thbeginning on March 30, 2020.
4. Grades will be collected by teachers in collaboration with our established curriculum. Full credit and grade promotion will be granted to those completing their work in SHCS online instruction.
5. Students should not reach out to teachers using social media. This is against school policy. Please use a school email to contact teachers and staff.
6. Students and parents who need their textbooks should call the school office (954-966-7995) Monday to Friday between 10AM-2PM. Our office staff will retrieve the items for office pick up.
7. The entire school is undergoing high-level cleaning using state of the art machinery. This will continue as long as necessary.
8. Our maintenance staff has used this time to paint the preschool and complete other tasks. Our maintenance staff and preschool teachers have been deep cleaning the campus.
9. Please continue to follow all CDC guidelines regarding prevention measures.
Please continue to pray for our community! We are looking forward to reconnecting with students on the online platforms.
Eric Spee, Headmaster
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness[d] be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
If you or your student are unwell please observe the CDC and the Florida Department of Health guidelines and seek the proper steps for treatment.
update | mARCH 13, 2020
SHCS Parents, Students, Faculty, and Staff,
Our community continues to react to the growing challenge of the COVID-19 virus. There have been NO CASES at our school. However, we must prepare for many outcomes and show our community the love of Christ during these days. Please see the important information below.
1. School is currently closed for Spring Break and we will NOT offer Holiday care and
Preschool care. Parents should prepare for potential school closing March 23-27.
2. The school is cleaned daily as scheduled and additional cleaning has been provided.
3. You will be notified by parent alert and email if SHCS closes. The situation is changing by the moment and we must all be prepared for a potential school closure.
4. If SHCS suspends on-campus classes we will offer an online forum. In the event of closure, you will receive an email with details regarding the online learning platform.
5. ALL Parents should begin preparations for the care of their child in the event of school closure. If the school is closed, we will not provide Holiday or Preschool care.
6. SHCS students and parents who are traveling out of the country - regardless of the country - are asked to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.
7. Please do not send your child to school if he or she is sick. We will work with students who are ill to make up their missed work.
8. All field trips are postponed until further notice.
Please visit the following links for more information:
Please continue to pray for the health of our church, school, and surrounding communities. Remember to Keep Calm and Carry On since we are blessed with the assurance of salvation in Jesus Christ.
Eric Spee, Headmaster